29 April 2010, JellyBean @ 8:17 am

Opening in 1904, Norwich State Hospital expanded over 100 acres, catering to ninety-five patients. As the years progressed, the number of patients in this asylum grew calling for building expansions; an administration building, three patient buildings, three cottages for physicians, a carpenter and maintenance shop, a main kitchen, garage, laboratory, staff house, an employees’ club house and the inebriate farm and the Colony had been established by 1913.

The need for space continued to grow with the additions of fifteen new buildings. By 1930, patient numbers reached to over 2,000. Tubercular patients were housed between 1931 and 1939 in one patient building called Seymour which led to the closure of the “Pines” buildings. More additions were built. However, during World War II, the nursing staff dwindled. While new buildings were being constructed, old ones met their demise. It’s population peaked in 1950 at 3,000 and was considered a working town.

YouTube Preview Image

The hospital was used for housing and treating not only the mentally insane, but also geriatric patients and those chemically dependent. Treatments ranged from heavy medication and lobotomies to mechanical restraints and “hydrotherapy”. The hospital officially closed in 1996.

Today, a large number of gothic-style architectural brick buildings snakes around nine hundred acres of Connecticut woods, most connected by underground tunnels that also house rooms along their paths. Norwich State Hospital’s fate is unsure as there have been talks of amusement parks or museums. However, none disrupt the stories of its haunted status.

Read more:

Ghost Stories

Related Reading:

Be Sociable, Share!
Level Beyond is based on
WordPress platform, RSS tech , RSS comments design by Gx3.